Saturday, September 11, 2010

CHINA! :: Aug. 28 – Sept. 10, 2010

I have just returned from two weeks traveling in China with my sister, Shannon, and the first week also with our cousin, Danielle. Thank GOODNESS for Danielle, as we depended highly on her for translation and then providing us with key phrases to fend for ourselves. She is teaching English there at Huangshan University, and her Mandarin is very good, despite what she may say.

As my first trip to anywhere in Asia, I found China to be a fascinating place—far different than any place I’d ever visited before. I loved parts of it, but hated others. My most enjoyable moments were when we managed to escape the crowds and explore the gorgeous landscape of its vast country.

I think my favorite time was on the Great Wall, where we managed to stay in a nearby town, Gubeikou, and be led on an early morning hike with no one except the three of us, Shannon, Danielle, myself, and our guide (apologetically I do not know his name, but he was great--even tolerating us taking silly “jumping” pictures). Everywhere you read in the guidebooks talks about the never-ending crowds on the wall and how you must walk for miles before you can reach a less tread path, not to mention miss the cable cars to ride up and down it. Unbelievable what tourism can do.

Instead, and thankfully, our experience was a real gift to have the entire place to ourselves for four wonderful morning hours. I could’ve done longer, but our bus schedule ruled. Skies were overcast, but not rainy, to keep us cool, which was appreciated. The wall was crumbly in most parts, causing us to walk along beside it and only on top of the wall for portions. We did the “Tiger” trail from this town of Gubeikou, and there’s also a longer “Dragon” trail that snakes you around all the way to Jinshanling. Unfortunately, we had less than 24 hours here, so we were only able to explore the “Dragon” trail partially, but what a treat to again explore that alone upon our first arrival to the town just as the sun was setting. I remember asking the director of our hostel, Chinese Box Courtyard Great Wall Hostel (soon to be in the Lonely Planet books along with the Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel in Beijing (www.boxhostel.com), “So, where exactly is the wall?” She hesitated a moment and then literally pointed up and said “All around you.” I was in awe of this place. Imagine living right among such an amazing creation (whether it was effective or not) day in day out.

After nearly a full week in the bustling city of Beijing, this was my first favorite moment of the trip. Some other highlights off the beaten trail included our time outside of Jiuzhaigou park in a Tibetan village in Jiuzhai Valley, and then the trails away from the crowds within gorgeous Jiuzhaigou National Park. These, and of course after I was initially united with Shannon in the Beijing airport – together at last – and then united with Danielle on my first of many hostel bunk beds – a gracious bear hug to my sleep-deprived self J

I could write more, and perhaps I will, but for now I will show-case some favorite pictures, and I’ll have even more when the three of us manage to share all of our thousands of photos.

An amazing trip, but one that made me long for home as well. It is good to be back.

Thanks for reading. I’ll try to keep it up…

L

Photo time...

We have arrived!
First of many "peace sign" photos :)

First, and perhaps best, hostel stay.
Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel in Beijing (www.boxhostel.com)

Inside courtyard of hostel show-casing one of the many hostel kitties.
Typical courtyard in this old part of town. Many hutongs (alleyways) create courtyards off them. Lovely.

Where to find ALL the China Lonely Planet books. Amazing resources, and the staff too.
No, they did not pay me to say these things...all true!

Yes, they had flushing Western toilets!

Bei Hai Park nearby, where we did Tai Chi one morning with this as the view.

Being a tourist. Standing on Tian'an Men Square side of road with huge Mao portrait behind.

Through the official Front Gate to the city of Biejing.

Approaching Temple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven

Wangfujing night market

Known for its unusual meats, including the above scorpions--eek!
No, I did not try, but some of our fellow hostel-stayers did...just to say they did.

Another nearby night market. Less touristy, but same idea...anything and everything on a stick.

Crabs...a little different looking than our Maryland ones.

My favorite "helmet" pay phones.

Summer Palace -- view from Kunming lake

Summer Palace

Summer Palace -- Kunming lake and 17 arch bridge in background

Forbidden City...and it's never-ending sea of people.

Typical fruit stand

First night's arrival to The Great Wall town of Gubeikou.
First impressions of the wall in the distance...enormously impressive.

Fresh goji berries (we think) we ate on the trail up the next morning.

Perhaps my favorite photo of the wall.
Crumbling at our feet and showing a glimpse of its size and connectivity into the distance.

The wall surrounding the town below.

Best "jumping" photo we could manage--there were many.

Walk back through town. Beautifully bright flowers along the way...

Closeup

Gorgeous flowers outside some woman's home.

From town looking to the wall beyond.

Hostel doggy, similar to the frequent hostel kitties you often see.

First meal in Chengdu (Sichuan province -- land of delicious spicy food & tea houses)
Let the food pics begin...

Random sampling of Sichuan dishes at a nearby restaurant.

Tea to accompany -- Jasmine on the L, Chrysanthemum on the R, sugar blocks on the far R

Feast of Sichuan food on our last day, including the famous Kung-Po Chicken (far R).
Before...

...and after


Homestay for 2 nights in Jiuzhai Valley Tibetan village en route to Jiuzhaigou park.
Backyard scene (featuring some CA flowers :) & many many Tibetan prayer flags)

View outside their front doorstep

Inside look to the main eating room in their home.

Grandson to Ama rocking his "MC Hammer" pants--amazing!

Ama (grandmother of family) on her cell phone

Hike around Jiuzhai Valley Tibetan village -- the home we stayed in is on the far left of this photo

Looking back down on the village

A little taste of China Tibetan village style Liza

Wild flowers near the top of the hill--reminiscent of BC

The sun did finally come out!

Jiuzhai Valley Tibetan village -- typical scene

An excited pair ready to take on Jiuzhaigou Park!

Tibetan prayer flags through to Long Lake in Jiuzhaigou Park

Five-colored lake in Jiuzhaigou Park

Nuorilang Falls in Jiuzhaigou Park

Mirror Lake in Jiuzhaigou Park


THE END.



6 comments:

  1. Um... hello... beautiful!! These photos are absolutely beautiful. If you were not already an architect my dear, I might suggest photography as your living. Your blog is awful cute too. I had no idea you were headed to China & Tibet... I cannot wait to talk with you soon. Big love to you.. XO -Meg Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awessommme! Your pics are outstanding! I'll post my blog soon so we can share. I thank you for the kind review of my translating and hope the rest of the trip treated you ladies well. Can't wait for our next adventure together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loulou, thanks for being the awesomist sister in all of vancouver! it was great fun to be with you and danielle en chine. miss you down here in santa cruz (where we found a place living literally on top of laura and johnny, 1 block from the beach).

    love ya
    shan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Pics Liza! It looks like you gals had an amazing time, I wish I could have joined in on the fun. Perhaps next time. Hope to see you and the other Randolphs again soon. :)

    Love, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing pics! Looks like you had a fun time! Happy New Year!

    Sherman Unkefer

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great blog & photo gallery Liza! I doubt if you would find better pictures in a travel book. I'm so pleased you had a wonderful time, Mx

    ReplyDelete