Saturday, July 18, 2009

Home and then "home" again?

Written on July 18th (Saturday)

Just two weeks ago today I was back home in Baltimore anticipating an evening at Oregon Ridge to see fireworks accompanied by the BSO to celebrate 4th of July! Now I find myself in Lions Bay, just outside the city of Vancouver, house-sitting for cousin of an old neighbor in Baltimore. Funny how worlds collide.

It was such fun being home the other week to see so many of you and enjoy some beautiful Baltimore summer weather. Vancouver is a bit behind on the warm temps, so it was so nice to feel warmth immediately upon exiting the airport. I lucked out with gorgeous weather all week. Sunny almost every day and pleasantly warm, not sticky humid like it can be (thank goodness!). It was perfect for tennis, swimming, walking, even a short run in there (just one). Between gatherings at home, brief one-on-one meetups, big group lunches downtown, etc. I got to see so many friends and family in that one week span. Truly, a treat! Many thanks for making an effort to see me. Everyone seems to be doing so well, and it was wonderful beyond words to see each and every one of you. If I did miss you, there will be a next time. Think Christmas time :)

A few photos from my trip home...

After a week home in luxury and really feeling as though I was on summer vacation, I returned back to Vancouver a sleep deprived zombie. I rested well while home, but remind me next time that it's poor planning to schedule a 6AM flight to follow a Randolph style party at my parents house--ouch. Congrats again to the newly-weds, Ashley & Steve! Great party, despite my two hours of sleep to get me to the airport. Luckily, upon my return I had my gracious friend Pam pick me up at the airport, even take me to lunch, and then get me home. Little did I know that lunch equalled payment for helping her paint her new place...I kid, I offered. So yes, my very dear friend Pam is moving out of our building to set up shop in North Van closer to her beloved Lynn Valley, where she can trail run constantly, and meanwhile live with her beloved Xavier. I will miss you living just two floors down Pam, but now you just have to come pick me up to hang out!

Today is actually Pam & Xavier's move day, which a bunch of us are helping out with. The moving went well (bbq included), and now I'm back relaxing in Lions Bay on the deck. Thank you Marion & Gus for this awesome opportunity to get out of the city for a bit and enjoy this beautiful spot! Just look at this view from their deck. --> I'm doing my best to take full advantage of being out this way, so tomorrow is a hiking day--heading up to Squamish to take on the Chief. For any rock climber fanatics out there, the Chief is familiar to you for sure. This is a prime rockclimbing locale for climbers world-wide, but for the non-climbers (like myself), there's also a great hiking trail. Supposed to be a nice hike, with a rewarding view at the top. My kind of hike, unlike the grueling Grouse Grind :P I'll report back, and hopefully without any cougar sightings to speak of!


Hope you all are doing well. Again, it was grand seeing many of you back east just weeks ago, but remember, the invitation to visit out here is still WIDE open :) Summertime in Vancity just might be shaping up to be ALL that everyone raved about.

Love to you all...
Liza

ps-Home is still Baltimore; Vancouver is just my temporary "home". I know there's a few of you who worry on this one :)
pps-Instead of saying "grilling out", as I normally would, "barbequeing" (bbq'ing) is the phrase of choice in Canada-land. Just in case there was any confusion. Plus, I like tracking the subtle differences between American English speak and Canadian English speak. Subtle, but there :)
Last thing, here's a pic from the top of the first peak of the Chief. I'd say the view lived up to the expectations!

2 comments:

  1. I just love the beautiful pictures of your adventures in Canada-land. You are amkign me wanting to save up for a trip out there. Is there an approximate time of return to the East Coast? Glad you're bloggin again, don't get us addicted and then go poof ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so good to see you while you were home! Let the countdown to Christmas begin :)

    ReplyDelete