Finally, summer is here, and I might even venture to say that it’s hot! I never thought that I’d say these words living in Vancouver, considering everyone always said it would never get above 80 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees Celsius…since I do both now. Quick rule of thumb for C to F – double the C and +32). Despite these claims, we’ve hit a whopping 90 F (29 C), and it’s been a “scorcher” according to the newspapers. Funny considering while it is 90 out, there’s still literally no humidity! I guess they’ll forever be spoiled here.
So yes, it’s gotten warm here and I even had to pull a “309 E. Cross St.” last night. For those of you who did not live with me in that lovely abode, a “309 E. Cross St.” means I had to take a cold shower to cool off before heading to bed. Oh, there were soooo many days of this ritual back in the day. I doubt it will ever get as bad here, but considering AC is pretty much a “no” in this city, a few more cold showers are probably in store.
In other news (since I’m sure you’re not too too enthralled with the weather here or my cold showers), the Celebration of Light (http://celebration-of-light.com/) has begun here! This is a huge fireworks competition that occurs every summer in Vancouver off a barge in English Bay right near my place. Four different countries participate in four nights of spectacular fireworks displays over the course of two weeks, and everyone goes nuts for this here!?! So far Canada and S. Africa have showcased, and the UK and China are still to come. Good pictures of fireworks are hard to come by, so I captured some video instead. The videos below are from Canada’s night, shot from the beach, and featuring the theme of the Wizard of Oz – listen closely, and you might pick up on the music. Sorry, they're not rotated vertically--I'm video challenged apparently.
I watched S. Africa from my friend’s place on the 18th floor of their building. Nothing like watching fireworks at eye level, hah! And we were lucky too because there was also a huge storm that night, so along with the fireworks was a very impressive lightning show. Tonight I’ll be watching the fireworks from the 19th floor of the Carmana Plaza courtesy of a work friend in from our St. Louis office. Way to take advantage of The Cannon accommodations…well done, nicely done indeed :)
Hope you all are well! Happy summertime to each of you :)

Hey Liza! It sounds like the fireworks show was awesome! Is the USA a participant? You should get the going =)
ReplyDeleteOn the 4th, of course, we had a fireworks display. It was great watching it from our balcony on the 24th floor. We had views from Coconut Grove, the Gables, and downtown in Brickell. It was great- except Steve had an overnight shift in the ER! Great 1st anniversary huh?