Thursday, January 28, 2010

Liza's State of the Union

Obama gave his State of the Union Address this week, so I suppose it's my turn to give y'all something. Ironically enough, my one year mark in Vancouver is almost in synch with our President's first year in office. Not exact, but close enough, and since Barack and I are so close and all... Ok, I'll get to it since lots has happened since I last wrote... Christmas ... a New Year ... less than a month till the Olympics ... so much to tell you!

But before I divulge into happy news, let me take a moment to speak to the unfortunate news in Haiti since the earthquake. The effects of such an earthquake on a developing nation like Haiti is more devastating than ever when they do not have the resources to provide relief and help their own people. Fortunately, there are people like Tom and Carol Ritter in this world, who graciously offered their medical services in a time of need such as this. Tom and Carol went to Haiti to lend their much needed medical hands to the Haitian people. They sent updates back home to have updated on their blog. Read on here... http://www.carolandtominhaiti.com/ ...and if you are able and interested in donating money, there are links on there as well. Personally, I took the route of donating to the Red Cross via text message -- text "Haiti" to 90999, and $10 will be added to your next cell phone bill. Oh, the age of technology, but way to use texting for doing good. I also donated through my work, who has offered to match donations up to $10,000--go Cannon!

Now, for some other more "standard" updates from me in Vancouver...

First off, my family came out west to spend Christmas and New Year's in Canada. I invited, and they delivered! We spent a lovely first few days in the city, and it didn't even rain once. They got a very tainted view of Vancouver weather, but it was pleasing to them. Between my small apartment and my amazing friends, Mike & Dani, who gave us their apartment while they were gone for the holidays, we ALL managed in a much smaller space than any of us are ever used to. Thankfully the weather was clear, so there were plenty of opportunities to take walks, and get OUT! :)

A few high-lights from our time in the city -- we enjoyed city strolls, including the busiest Robson St. I've ever seen on Boxing Day (Dec. 26th -- Canadians' "Black Friday"; we were thrilled on a kid-focused (we're all kids at heart, right) train ride in Stanley Park to see the lights; some went on a float plane ride; others saw "It's a Wonderful Life" on Granville Island; and then we all headed up to Whistler!

Finally, my hosting duties were over and we ALL got to relax in the luxury of the Whistler Blackcomb Mountains. A few high-lights from Whistler -- two great days on the mountain (I reached new heights up to the peak of Whistler!); my Hokies won in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl game on New Year's Eve after I snowboarded for 6hrs that day; we rang in 2010 quietly at home as the snow fell (and I went to bed before midnight...yes, my Mom also pointed out that this was a first :)

All in all, a wonderful holiday with my family. Thanks for coming ~~Mom, Dad, Ashley, Steve, and Glenn ~~ it will definitely be a Christmas and New Year's to go down in the memory books. I hope each of you enjoyed a festive celebration with friends and family, and are starting your new year on a good note. Shan & Ezra--I expect to see your smiling faces up here soon! :)

A brief photo sampling from the holidays. Hope to post a more all-inclusive album on Facebook soon...be on the lookout.




My new year started off being quite busy for me at work, and has continued to be for the duration of January. Project demands were one root of this, but I'm also anticipating a very exciting time in February. Yes, as most of you know, the Winter Olympics are coming to Vancouver, and yours truly, will be taking a leave from work to be a hostess for the Olympics! I'll be working with a leading hospitality company for the Games, Jet Set Sports/CoSport, helping many guests see their way through the city and to all of their Olympic events. Yes, you got it, I'll get to accompany them to events, not to mention answer whatever beckoning call they may have, and talk to bus loads of people, while riding backwards and holding on for dear life. Wish me luck and look for me on tv...you never know! I hope each of you are as excited for the Olympics as I am. Lets just hope the temperatures dip a bit more, so we can get some more snow on the ground!

Love to each of you...
Liza

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates Liza! We're excited for the olympics too... although I wish you guys were getting some of the snow that we are getting here. Supposed to get around 2 feet this weekend! Crazy for this part of the country. Take care and have fun with your new job. Hope to see you soon! Love, Emily

    ReplyDelete