Happy Spring 2012!
![]() |
| English Bay red tulips |
I started writing on this in early 2009, three years ago
now. Wow! How time flies. I began writing as I embarked on a move
to Vancouver, Canada. A move that
was intended for a year, and open to more if I liked it. I suppose the timeline has proved I do
like it here, love it here, even. :)
When something is new, there is so much to write about and
new things come to mind so easily to document. This is shown in my frequent entries in 2009. Come 2010, I still wrote, but a bit
less. There was a different tone
as I entered into the experience of second experiences in Vancouver. Of course the Olympics were something
different, so I documented that in a unique way. Come 2011, I trailed off more and more in my writings. Third time around events, and work that
became exhausting and too overwhelming stinted my enthusiasm to write. These were some lower points. In high points though, I started dating
Jon and quickly found myself falling in love. All things clouded my vision for clear thinking to write,
not to mention making time to write.
| Me & Jon |
So now, nearly half way through 2012, I intend to pick up the
“pen” again, and write. Yes, it
will come with a different tone.
The beginning of my original blog was to document the newness of my new
home. Vancouver -- a new home to
me, and one that would become more to me than I ever knew. I have established a life here, I am
fighting to stay in this country (PR application in process), I have friends
(more and more) who are establishing their lives here too by getting married
and starting families. I’m not quite
there yet, but I enjoy watching them along side me.
![]() |
| View from TO apartment |
A few things to catchup to speed since my last entry at
Christmas time 2010…
1. I spent the first half of 2011 working in
Toronto. It was a tough time for
me that I honestly hope to never repeat.
The city was not to my liking and the work was far from ideal. Luckily, I’ve had enough distance from
that time to see it in my past. While
in Toronto, I did discover a longing for Vancouver, as a place, and in
particular for a someone. Jon
became part of my life in a real way.
2 2. Jon and I met during the Olympics thanks to our
friend Sharna, stayed friends for about a year, started talking more while I
was gone to Toronto, and then picked up dating immediately upon return to
Vancouver. He has much of a story too, which will come out in time, I’m sure. Quickly though – Jon is a Brit who
loves Vancouver as much, if not more, than I do, and is fighting to stay here,
certainly more, than me.
3 3. The second half of 2011, after returning from
Toronto, was an amazing summer filled with much exploration all throughout BC –
hiking, camping, and playing galore! The holidays were spent in Baltimore with
old friends and family, and a surprise visit by Jon…to my friends :) I thoroughly enjoyed sharing my
hometown with him, and there’s something to be said for enjoying a visit “home”
through the eyes of someone who’s never seen it before. Refreshing might be the word, and allowing
you to truly relax and not pull yourself into work…as I might often do. Jon
is teaching me to be more in the moment and not to plan ahead to the next. It will come, if it’s meant to be, and
we should enjoy the moments in which we are present.
![]() |
| From top of Bowen Island hike -- definitely a moment to remember |
4 4. The beginning of 2012 has been
multi-layered. Some good, some
bad, some confusing. That’s
life. I feel lucky that Jon and I
have continued to grow in our relationship and have stuck it out all this way.
Now, for present day…
Both of us have
applied for PR (permanent residency). While these terms – permanent,
specifically – make my Mom nervous at times, all it really means to me is
this. PR allows you to live in country, Canada in this case, but instead
of being tied down to one job, you can work anywhere! Beautiful. Or
brilliant, as some Brits might say. As long as you live in Canada for
2yrs within 5yrs, you maintain this PR status. Essentially, you have all
the same privileges as a citizen, except the ability to vote. For Jon and
I though, it primarily gives us freedom of employment and the freedom to stay
as long as we wish. So, the
verdict of this PR status is still out for both of us. Fingers crossed we hear soon and we
hear the acceptance response we so hope for.
More soon...I won't promise when, as I have had major breaks on here, but soon. For some more pics of recent adventures, check the book. Hope each of you are well this Spring season. The sun just poked its head out here in Van, thank goodness!
Oh, and of note, if you didn't already know, I'll be back east for a visit to B'more and Richmond in late May.





No comments:
Post a Comment