Saturday, October 6, 2012

Turning 30…


I just had my 30th birthday!  Some say it’s just a number, which it is.  Others see it as a major milestone, which it also could be.  I suppose having experienced it now, it’s somewhere in the middle for me.

Normally I never get worrisome about turning a new year in age, or admitting my age to people.  What’s the big deal?  Age is a state of mind is what I’ve always said.  I do still think that statement is true.  You can “act your age” or act however you like.  It’s your life, who’s really taking notes?

All that to say, this year I did admittedly feel a bit different.  About a week leading up to my birthday, I thought, “30, huh…maybe this does feel different or weird.”  I even messaged a few friends and family with this so-called worrisome thought, with hopes of words of wisdom in return.

In the end I think I did still feel my normal self because on the actual day it was back to normal Liza birthday business – telling everyone it’s my birthday, welcoming birthday wishes and celebrating with friends.  Really, what’s the deal with people wanting their birthDAY to pass by with no one knowing?  Silly, I say. 

It’s one day.  One day where people can be extra nice to you, cut you some slack if you need, give you gifts – tangible or thoughtful, send lots of love your way, etc.  Why miss this?   Life really is too short to pass that up, in my book.

So 30 years old…or young.  Thirty does have some weight.  I’ve had enough life experiences to feel somewhat wise.  Then again, I have a 95 year old grandmother, so I know there’s much more to gain.  Those who place milestone goals on themselves for 30 – must be married by 30, must have at least one kid by 30, must own house by 30 – are just out-right silly.  If that’s what life’s cards deal you, great.  If that’s not, who cares.  Make up your own milestones :)

For me, I’m doing none of those – marriage, kids, house.  I am, though, doing some exciting things for me, I think.  And in the end, it is what I think.  I’m not being selfish here, just realistic.  Again, it’s your life. 

So yes, at 30 years old, I am in love and happy – excellent feelings.  I am also embarking on a self-exploration trip next month to pursue my yoga teacher training in Mexico – also an excellent feeling.  I have considered doing this for years, but never have followed through.  Considering everything going on in my life at present, it seemed to be the time.  With a bit of growing some balls to own it, and some encouragement, I decided to bite the bullet and go for the 7 weeks of leave from work.  This felt AMAZING, but considering my work history it was not my norm.  (Maybe it will become that? :))  After Jon joins me in Mexico at the end of my training, we will go on to spend Christmas and New Years in England with his family – also an excellent and exciting feeling.

That quickly captures what’s coming my way in my immediate kick-off to 30 years of age.  In a few more months, and into a new year of 2013, new treats, challenges, and hopefully victories will come my way. 

For now, I’ll bask in the just passed days of turning a new year and feeling all that love around me.  Forget the stereotypical milestones, make your own, and make them awesome!

Thanks for all the love on my 30th…
Liza

A few photos around the celebrating...

First pics on the new camera -- sunset out by airport on night before my birthday.  Thank you Jonny :)

Again, new camera shots -- this time practicing the macro-super settings.

The 12-person dinner crew for 6-courses at 12b -- superb!




1 comment:

  1. Liza Lou, I love you so much! Can't wait to hang out in the tropics together.

    ReplyDelete