Friday, February 20, 2009

CALL ME CO-PILOT!

I’ve now had my first experience on a float plane, and what a thrill it was! For those of you who don’t know, a float plane is one of those tiny planes that takes off and lands on the water. Yes, crazy I know :) This is the most common path of travel between Vancouver and Victoria, which is where I went for a meeting for work this week. The hospital project I’m working on, Royal Jubilee Hospital, is located in Victoria, the capital of the British Columbia province, and it’s on an island, Vancouver Island, just about a 30 minute plane ride from the city of Vancouver. It probably was not absolutely necessary that I attend this meeting, but it gave me a wonderful opportunity to fly in a float plane, and as it turned out, be the co-pilot too!!

They always offer for a passenger to ride up front along side the pilot, and my boss, who was flying with me, insisted I ride as co-pilot since it was my first time. Very cool experience—I’ll have to thank him for that! Got to wear the headset with microphone and talk directly to the pilot while hearing the radio exchange too. I know this is show-casing a very dorky side of me, but I was loving every minute of it. Since the weather has been so unusually dry and clear here (literally no rain these first 2 weeks I've been here), it was an ideal day for flying (so they were saying :)) The views surrounding me were incredible—a plethora of small islands with mountains galore in the distance. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. Here’s just a few snapshots to mildly attempt to document the spectacular views. Again, I’ll post more on facebook, as it’s easier to post pictures in bulk there.


Add this to the list of things to do when you visit Vancouver. You don’t have to squeeze in a work meeting either, even though it’s nice when they cover the bill, but you can stop at the islands or just explore Victoria. I’ve heard and read that it’s a very old historical town, quite suiting to be the capital. Reminds me a bit of how Annapolis is Maryland’s capital, despite many thinking Baltimore is since it’s the larger of the two. There’s something nice about keeping the capital the more unheard of small quaint town, perhaps more full of character than its bigger neighbor. I need to plan a weekend trip to explore Victoria more. Ferries are another mode of travel is the flying scares you. I’ll tell you though, it’s so worth it. And as my boss said, “If you have a good pilot, when they land in the water, it’s like butter.” (not buttah as Morgan would say :))

I hope you’re all doing well. I’ve enjoyed getting feedback from people saying they’re enjoying my blog, so that’s encouraging to keep it up! Happy Friday to all :) Hope you have something fun in store for your weekend. I’m off to Seattle to see Dinah and then to California to see Shannon and meet Ezra (aka: Mr. E or “mystery”) myself. See y’all soon… :)

Last bit – should, should have internet in my apartment next week sometime.
New Canadian word I've learned:
Toque = hat, like a small wool knit one …learn somethin’ new every day

3 comments:

  1. You seem like you're having so much fun! Awesome pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is like BUTTAAAAH! Keep up the great work!

    Shameless ad for my blog:
    http://morgansomerville.stevensonuniversity.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi liza... i just wanted to say i loved the use of the word "plethora"

    ..it always reminds me of the three amigos movie haha


    kerry

    ReplyDelete