Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I have new "firsts" to report!

First trip back south across the border, including my first ever experience going through customs during a bus ride. ... ... First trip to visit Shannon in Santa Cruz, CA, while also having a first meeting with Ezra. ... ... First time navigating in Seattle by cab between the airport and the flagship store of REI (expensive--$50 bucks for 16 miles!?!) and then again from REI to the King Street train/bus station. Fortunately I had a successful purchasing trip to REI, but it then made for some difficulty maneuvering around town. I managed though. But back to the start...

I spent last weekend on my first road trip from Vancouver. I know some may say, "You already took a road trip? You've only been there two weeks!" While this is true, I had to take advantage of seeing my sister, Shannon, one last time before she departs on another adventure to Cameroon for 3-5 months. We'll miss you Shan, but know you'll do lots of great research while you're there and then return home safely as soon as you can. Please, for Mom's sake :)

I took the bus down to Seattle Friday night to graciously be greeted by the lovely Dinah and stay with her for the night until flying further down to CA the next morning. Now that I think about it, I got to meet two new boyfriends this weekend--Dinah's Tom and Shannon's Ezra! Both good first meetings, no worries ladies...not that you were. My stint in Seattle was brief, only 12 hours, but with many more trips to come in the future now that I know it's so easy, and relatively inexpensive to get there!

Spent more of the weekend in Santa Cruz at the famous "Garden House". I'm glad I've seen for myself the backyard garden including a lemon and orange tree, numerous rose bushes, all the herbs you could imagine, and even chickens! Oh, and how could I forget the bathtub. Yes, there's a tub in the back yard--very fun! Sadly I don't have any pics of the yard, as it is the most impressive home garden I've even seen in my life, but I do have some shots of the party that ensued Saturday night.

Saturday's tribal fest hosted by Ezra himself was a great success--well done Easy E! There was face-paint galore, beautiful watercolors adorning the walls, BIG palm leaves picked up on the side of the road, and very interesting costuming, including a BRIGHT pink and green sequined suit that was worn by perhaps one too many :) A most excellent belated bday party / send-off party for Shannon, as she prepares to embark on another trek to Cameroon. She commented at one point thanking people for making the trek to see her, but she's the one really making the trek this coming Thursday. Safe travels to my Shay Shay. So great seeing you and your life in Santa Cruz right now. More visits to come, but not before you make it up here!

Some pics from my flight to California seeing the stunning Mt. Ranier, a hike in Red Woods, and the party itself. Great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment